January 18, 2018
Dear Sullivan County Fire Department,
The Sullivan County Volunteer Firefighter’s Association (SCVFA) is now accepting applications for the Firefighter of the Year Award and The Sullivan County Lifetime Achievement Award for the year 2017. All Fire Departments in Sullivan County are eligible to present candidates for these prestigious awards. The applications must be received on or before April 1st, 2018 to be eligible for review and judging.
It is certain that many County Volunteer Firefighters perform outstanding feats of heroism, which are not recognized. Therefore, we are hopeful that you and your department will take this opportunity to recognize any individual who deserves this award.
If you have a candidate for either of these awards, please submit the nomination form that is attached to this letter as soon as possible.
Award winner’s names will be permanently displayed on a plaque that is on exhibit at the Fire Training Center.
RULES FOR THE
FIREFIGHTER OF THE YEAR AWARD
1) The citation shall be made on merit, such as risking one’s life, rescuing victims from a burning structure, saving others from drowning or other actions making the proposed individual eligible to receive an award for outstanding heroic activity performed. The heroic act must have taken place in the 2017 calendar year.
2) A nomination application delivered to the President of the SCVFA, setting forth in detail a complete written account of the heroic activity performed along with any newspaper clippings.
3) The nomination application shall be the true and accurate accounting of the heroic activity and must be authored by the incident commander or officer in charge who is best suited to give firsthand information.
4) The Department Chief will additionally approve and sign the letter before submission.
5) Personal interviews may be held with authors/sponsors/chiefs/witnesses and/or candidates or anyone else as determined by the committee/executive board.
6) The decision of the committee/board will be final.
7) In the event no candidates are proposed the committee/board may elect to present no award that year or present a nomination from the committee/board.
There is an additional award that recognizes outstanding individual effort in the Fire Service of Sullivan County and that is the Fire Service achievement award.
RULES FOR THE
SULLIVAN COUNTY LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
1) This award will be based on individual performance, leadership and dedication to improve the Fire Service. These are individuals who have contributed towards improvements within their own Departments or to the Fire Service as a whole. This is an opportunity to recognize an individual for using their abilities and talents toward the betterment of the Fire Service.
2) This award does not have to be just for the year 2017. It could be for the previous year or a combination of years. This letter must also be signed by the Chief Officer or the President of the proposing organization. The letter must be received on or before April 1, 2018, to be eligible for review and judging.
ALL VOLUNTEER PERSONNEL ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THESE AWARDS!
The presentation of these awards will take place during the Sullivan County Volunteer Firefighter’s Association Annual Dinner, which will be held on Sunday September 23rd, 2018 at the Eagles Nest.
Please submit all entries or questions to:
Mr. Bill Lothrop, President
PO Box 189
Monticello, NY 12701
We look forward to hearing from you.